Friday, June 13

Charlotte 'clubs' are getting snooty

First, it was HOM. On Saturday night, they wouldn't let me in. The guy in front of me with a t-shirt and chain? No problem. My two friends before me wearing shorts and sandals? Go on in. But then the bouncer, who actually had a European accent, stopped me at the door. He told me, in that filthy accent, that my New Balance sneakers didn't make the cut.

I began pointing at all the people in line wearing sneakers. Nikes, Reeboks, and Pumas, he said, were all permitted. Pumas? I tried to engage him in a conversation about proper style, but he couldn't be swayed. Then I reminded him that he was wearing a blazer with jeans. It was a lost cause.

A little shaken, from there my friends and I headed to Grand Central, or Old Faithful, as we like to call it. We hadn't been there, surprisingly, in a few months, but knew the free cover, cheap drinks, hysterical clientele, and dark and dirty atmosphere would cheer us up. Unbelievably, they were charging a cover. And the bouncers had taken to patting everyone down at the door. Say it ain't so.

Last night, we made our way to Suite, the fancy new club on the top floor of the EpiCentre (note the snooty British spelling). I was wearing jeans and brown shoes to avoid trouble. But a few of my friends were wearing shorts. No dice. After some arguing and name dropping, we finally made our way inside, only to find other guys in shorts already raving it up. Apparently you can wear shorts to Suite, but only if you're willing to fight your way inside. You have to work for it.

Charlotte may be getting a little full of itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. This blog get's yuckier every time i tune in.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to guess that flip-flops and cargo pants are right out.

Maybe bandoliers?