Friday, May 23

Take cover!

The normally docile block on Sixth Street between Pine and Church contained a frightening number of men wearing wife-beaters and chin-beards last night. When I looked a little closer to make sure that those were really chin-beards, they immediately snapped into "What the heck is that guy lookin' at" mode.

I can only imagine that the rest of the city was much worse; the people I saw looked lost.

Here's an update from Jarvis Holliday (of Grown People Talking), pulled from the comments section:

Yo Giglio, I was out at Speed Street last night with a friend. Jagged Edge had just finished performing when two girls next to us started arguing and cussing each other out. I told my friend it was time to go.

I said: 'The later it gets, the drunker people become, and the more likely they are to fight. As a matter of fact, a guy who writes for Charlotte magazine wrote a story a few months ago recapping his first year in Charlotte. In the story he tells how he got BEAT UP at Speed Street.'

Then when we got to the light rail stop and were waiting for the train, a drunk guy tried to start a fight with a civil guy. The drunk guy was wearing a T-shirt that read: Redneck Rafter. I kid you not.

Please keep Yup-Town updated about all such incidents throughout the weekend. I'll be taking my camera out, and trying not to get punched in the face (again).

No comments: