Tuesday, March 25

Something weird just happened at the gym

This morning, I was sweating it out in the steam room. I have a routine: I sit on the bench in my towel and stare at the clock until I can't take it anymore. That's exactly what I was doing when an older man walked in wearing a bright teal bathing suit.

He spread his towel out on a bench near the side, then stood about three feet in front of me, facing the opposite wall. There's was a hose at his feet. He slowly removed his suit, then bent down and sprayed it with the hose for an uncomfortably long period of time. Then he laid on his back on top of his towel and placed his legs up on the wall.

The two other guys in the room immediately jumped up and left, which was alarming. But I had only been there for three minutes. So I kept staring at the clock and tried to play it cool. A few minutes later, the man got up without his towel and strolled across the room and out the door.

Two minutes later he was back. This time he used the hose to wash his feet. Then he laid down again with his legs propped up against the wall. Eventually I just got out of there.

I normally have no problem in the locker-room. And I usually give old men a little extra lee-way for acting strange. But this seemed way out of line. Am I being a baby, or can we flag this as inappropriate steam-room behavior?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The alarming thing I have learned about steam rooms is that there is no such thing as "inappropriate behavior in the steam-room." It's the risk you run for stepping into such an unnatural environment--a room filled with hot fog and overweight lounging men. I think Stephen King wrote a book on it...

Jarvis Holliday said...

Citing Man Law, I don't feel men should use steam rooms.

Anonymous said...

Baby